Hej Hej guys!! I want to leave you a small to do list when arrive to Gothenburg. Things that you have to do and will make your life easier :)
- Get your Västtrafik card: As I wrote around here before, you can get it for 1 to 3 months in any Presbyrån or at the office in front of central station.
- Get Västtrafik App: If you have a smart phone which most of you do ( I did not), you should get this app. It will help you to plan your way, which bus or tram should you get to reach your destiny. It will tell you the time of departure, travel and connections you should make. Very useful one!
3.Cheap shopping: You are new in town and I guess there are a bunch of things you will need to buy. When it comes to food there are about 6 main supermarkets in Gothenburg:
- Coop (most expensive of them, fresh, organized, pretty nice)
- ICA (comes next in prices, quite fresh fruits and vegetables , also organized, a lot of variety)
- Hemköp (Similar to ICA in prices, very organized as well, quite fresh groceries)
- Willys ( Cheaper, very organized, quite fresh groceries as well) This would be my favorite option because of their variety and prices.
- Ldl and Netto are the cheapest supermarkets you will find. Nevertheless, less variety and fresh than the others. Still very good option to buy general stuff.
- More shopping: When it comes to buy blankets and housing stuff you might want to visit the famous Swedish store: IKEA. Why not? have some cheap and nice lunch after buying :)
- Get a Swedish Phone Number: This one is quite important for all the new friends you are going to make :) . You will get one in your welcome package. If you arrive before time, like me :/… Usually there are people outside Nordstan offering the cards for free and you can charge it in any 7/11 or Presbyran. The most common companies between students are Thelia (Chalmers) and Comviq (GU). With Comviq you can text people within the same company for free and call as well. This is the one I use so the only one I can tell you about ;).
- Get to know the surroundings: Don’t be scared to explore your neighborhood and the city itself. You will realized is quite easy to move inside Gothenburg and everything is close to you :)…
- Getting textbooks: You can either buy your textbooks in GU book store or try online and buy some used books. http://www.bokus.com/8. Systembolaget: I do not know if you are aware of the law regarding alcohol in Sweden. Anyway, the only place that sells real beer, wine or any kind of alcoholic drink is Systembolaget. You should keep in mind their schedule (which you can check on line) and be prepare for holidays because they will not open. I just thought some of you will find this information useful ;).
Vi ses snart,